Who Hijacked Our Country

Monday, August 11, 2014

Robin Williams

WTF???

This is un-fuckin'-real.  Suicide?!? Who knew he was suffering from severe depression, as the news is reporting.

We've all probably seen jillions of his movies, TV shows and standup comedy performances.  I wouldn't even know where to begin.  The Happy Days episode where he first appeared as Mork Mork and Mindy was a spinoff from that episode was as funny and zany as anything he ever did.  Not long after that I saw an HBO presentation of his standup act.  In addition to being gut-bustingly hilarious, he had so many rapid-fire one-liners and voices and imitations, he sounded like a one man Firesign Theater.

And he was as versatile as anyone.  I think Moscow on the Hudson was his first non-comedy film (unless Dead Poets Society came first).  And he played a great villain in Insomnia.  

R.I.P.

 

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Critter said...

Another data point proving that fame and money does not bring happiness.

August 11, 2014 at 6:38 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Like I told Snave and another friend, if we have souls then he definitely touched mine a few times.

August 12, 2014 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Jerry: Sad but true.

Jim: Very well put.

August 12, 2014 at 8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The World According to Garp, 1982, was his first big dramatic role and best movie I think. Great John Irving story/book and the movie follows it closely.

August 14, 2014 at 10:15 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Anon.: You're right. I saw that movie in '82 when it came out; I didn't think of it when I was writing the post.

August 14, 2014 at 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home