Who Hijacked Our Country

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Mad Cow Disease (Still!)

18 months ago, the FDA was supposed to take steps to protect Americans from Mad Cow Disease. It didn’t. Six months ago the meat and poultry inspectors’ union told the USDA that body parts known as “specified risk materials” were getting into the production chain. These savory items included the brains, skulls, spinal cords and intestines of cattle more than 30 months old. (30 months is the cutoff age.)

Not only was nothing done, but some of the inspectors were told by the USDA “not to intervene” when they saw the body parts of older cattle mixed in with those of younger cattle. It turned out that only packing plant supervisors — not government inspectors — were supposed to check the production line to make sure that older body parts were kept off.

Whew! That was close! Protocol is much more important than protecting the public health. Let’s get our priorities straight. Imagine! A public health threat averted by the wrong person — where’s the outrage?!?

And the problem continues to fester. American cattle are eating chicken waste products and cattle blood, among other tasty products. Mmm — it’s what’s for dinner.

The co-author of “Mad Cow USA: Could the Nightmare Happen Here?” summed it up. “Once the cameras were turned off and the media coverage dissipated, then it’s been business as usual, no real reform, just keep feeding slaughterhouse waste. The entire U.S. policy is designed to protect the livestock industry’s access to slaughterhouse waste as cheap feed.”

In January 2004 the FDA came up with strict new rules to protect the public from Mad Cow Disease. Those rules were scrapped six months later.

In case you’ve seen the movie “Five Easy Pieces,” here’s an updated version: when you go to a restaurant and order a hamburger, tell them to hold the chickenshit and cattle blood.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ignatius M. Dedd said...

you are supposed to say, "Hold it in between your KNEES."

sorry...just being anal retentive.

June 21, 2005 at 4:38 AM  
Blogger Patricia Scott-Anderson said...

Dear Tom:

Put up some interesting stuff over at Ancient Eyes.. would welcome any thoughts or comments you might have.

Sorry to toot my own horn here.. but .. *toot toot*

:0)

June 21, 2005 at 7:21 AM  
Blogger ~jay said...

and my family wonders why beef nauseates me?


~j

June 21, 2005 at 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this site rawks (:

June 21, 2005 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger erinberry said...

Oh.My.God. That is so gross. I wish I didn't hate vegetables so much.

June 21, 2005 at 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I.M. Dedd: That poor waitress' knees would get awful icky with all that cattle blood and chicken shit smeared all over them.

Patricia: Good posts. I just now commented on the 2 most recent ones.

~jay: Unfortunately I like the taste of it. I just try to tune out all the gross, uh, "additives" while I'm eating.

Lydia: Thanks.

Erinberry: You could always hypnotize yourself into thinking a carrot tastes like a T-bone steak. It's not easy, though.

Hardigan: That's probably what they'll do, deregulate it and give it some Orwellian name like that. And it would probably be an amendment tacked quietly onto a spending bill.

I've read about that Operation: Yellow Elephant at several other sites too. That's a great idea. We need to show the schizoid attitude of these people who are gung ho about the war, but "oh, but, I didn't mean my kids. Oh, me? But I, I, uh..."

I've also started answering rightwing commenters by showing a link to an Army recruiting website. It shows how to locate the nearest recruiting office, how to get the enlistment process started, etc. (I got the idea from Brother Kenya's site.)

June 21, 2005 at 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Democrat: No doubt the meat industry has a lot more clout than a bunch of whiny consumers wringing their hands over a health threat. Bush knows who his mentors are.

June 21, 2005 at 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin: It would sure serve the meat industry right if everyone went vegan. (Not that I'm one; easier said than done.) Seafood is really prevalent where I live, but there's still nothing like a steak or burger. But too many more gory news items about Mad Cow disease and I might switch to just seafood; then I'll just have mercury poisoning to deal with.

June 25, 2005 at 7:03 PM  

<< Home