Who Hijacked Our Country

Friday, April 27, 2007

Factory Farms

There's a new twist to the pet food scandal. Sure it’s too bad that thousands of dogs and cats are sickened and killed just so a pet food manufacturer can save a few bucks. But get a grip — they're just animals.

But now — gasp! — PEOPLE might also be threatened. Suddenly it’s an important issue. It’s not just for those PETA fanatics and treehuggers any more.

In a large number of factory farms, this contaminated pet food may have been fed to the pigs. And if people start eating the meat from these contaminated pigs…Oh My God, this is SERIOUS.

Other than being contaminated, this pet food probably seemed like caviar compared to the shit (literally) that factory farm animals are usually fed. After a steady diet of feces, chemicals and contaminated meat and blood, a ration of cat food was probably luxurious.

In addition to their tasty diet, factory farm animals spend their entire lives in tiny filthy cages where they don’t even have room to move. Check out some of these sickening photos. Don’t be eating anything while you're looking at these.

Here are some other links you might want to check out.

What kind of mouthbreathing sister-humping Neanderthal could do this? How do these douchebags live with themselves?

It’s inhumane and inexcusable to treat any animal this way. But pigs, of all animals — pigs are smarter than dogs or cats. Can you imagine your own dog or cat being confined to a tiny cage and living on nothing but shit and rotting meat? (I hope not.)

I’m not a vegetarian or anything, so I can't preach or claim any sort of moral high ground. When we buy meat at the supermarket we’re patronizing and enabling these pusbags, whether we like it or not. It’s surprising how many people are appalled by hunting, and yet they seem to think those neat little packages of pork, beef and chicken just appeared on the supermarket shelf by magic.

Factory farming is obviously a human health issue. Factory farms are the cause of unimaginable pollution. And indirectly, what these animals were fed, YOU will be eating. Is there a way to avoid supporting these buttwipes?

Factory farmers have way too much political clout to be regulated. No legislator will touch them. And with the fox-guarding-the-henhouse nature of most regulatory agencies (especially in the past six years), passing laws probably wouldn’t help much anyway.

Consumers can stop patronizing factory farmers, without too much effect on their diets or pocketbooks.

This USDA site offers some good common sense advice on shopping for organic meat. (Here are some other links.) It costs more, but you could make up for that by making meat a smaller portion of your diet. You'll be healthier and your conscience will be clear. You won't be supporting these sickfucks any more.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger LET'S TALK said...

I've already started to eat more fruit after I've cleaned them really good.

The sites and photo's I've seen makes me want to leave meats and other food products along period.

April 27, 2007 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Let's Talk: Yeah, some of those photos are enough to turn somebody into a vegetarian or a PETA activist.

April 27, 2007 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I only eat organic meats. And not too much of that.

Anyway, put your money where your mouth is. You love animals, like I love animals? Send me a pledge!

http://www.sdhumane.org/site/TR?px=1088301&fr_id=1040&pg=personal

For the homeless fur babies.

April 27, 2007 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Jenn: I'm glad you agree. That was a good post you did. Unfortunately I'm too much of a tightwad to make a contribution. But I wish you luck; that's a good cause. (I also don't contribute to any leftwing political causes; I just blog about them.)

April 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger PoliShifter said...

Nice post Tom.

Not sure if you have seen this site before, but if not, check it out:

The Meatrix

Great Flash animation helping to raise awareness about the dangers and horrors of factory farming.

April 27, 2007 at 5:36 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

PoliShifter: Thanks for that link. I think I did see that site a long time ago but I forgot about it. I'll have to watch again; it definitely raises the awareness of factory farming.

April 27, 2007 at 5:40 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Great post, Tom. I have been a vegetarian for 23 years and a member of Peta & the ASPCA for about 15 of them.

The conditions on factory farms is appauling. If you're going to eat meat, please buy & eat only organic.

Top Ten Eco-Friendly Reasons to Buy Organic Meat & Dairy

April 27, 2007 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Lizzy: Damn, that's impressive. Vegetarian, PETA and ASPCA member -- you're sure walking the walk. Something I need to aspire to.

That's an excellent link. Thanks for the information.

April 27, 2007 at 11:53 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

Tom, I'm sorry, I just can't click on those. Years ago I saw a picture of how veal is raised, and I haven't eaten it since. I know I should look, and I know I should change what I eat.

But back to what a jerk Bush is, please go look at the video/song on my friend Pooks' blog, http://planetpooks.wordpress.com, under her Freedom of Choice Weekend post. It's very moving. (Maybe this has been around a while and everyone else has already seen it except me; I don't know) Anyway, take a look.

Try to have a good weekend, everyone.

April 28, 2007 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

You're welcome. : )

April 28, 2007 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Candace: If you already know about this, there's no need to see the pictures again. They're pretty hideous; no sense grossing yourself out any more than necessary.

I'll check out that link.

April 28, 2007 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

When I read "Fast Food Nation" a few years ago, I was appalled by the ways in which outfits like Hormel and ConAgra operate. I had never thought it was that bad. The author seemed to mainly approach things from the human angle, however. There wasn't a lot of discussion as to how inhumanely the animals are treated.

I should put my money where my mouth is and become a vegetarian even though I have always been a meat-eater, and I have always loved the flavor of most meats. Like Candace, I can't bear to eat veal, and when I think about eating rabbit or lamb, the "cute" factor makes the eating of such young animals seem like a horrifying thing. The saying "If it has a face, don't eat it" has been something that has really gotten me thinking during the past two or three years, anyway.

April 28, 2007 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Snave: Yeah, these factory farms are really appalling as far as nutrition goes. Who wants to eat an animal that lived on shit and rotting festering meat. And factory farms cause serious air and water pollution. But most of all is the humanitarian angle.

I'm not a vegetarian but I want to make a serious effort to just buy organic meat and eat less of it. It's not right to patronize those factory farms, and consumers are the only people that will ever have any effect on them.

April 28, 2007 at 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom

Eric Schlosser and Marian Nestle
http://www.foodpolitics.com/
Have been talking about the factory farms for a long time and Dr. Nestle has documented in her books how thy the Government has let them slide with Contamination reports all these years.

One thing for sure. Pet Food has always been regarded as being cleaner and having better quality control then people food. Seems people get a lot more upset when you screw over their dogs and cats then when you mess with say..baby food.

Erik

April 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

Its the doggie version of Soylent Green.

April 30, 2007 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Erik: Interesting site; I'll have to bookmark that. I don't know about pet food being more closely monitored than people food or not; they're both full of inedible garbage. At least a person can decide that "I felt shitty after I ate that" and eat something else instead. Pets don't have that choice. I guess that's true for infants too.

Ron: Good point. LOL.

April 30, 2007 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger Mike V. said...

That's my favorite charity as well, Jenn.

May 1, 2007 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger 1138 said...

I was given the "opportunity" to work at a battery egg farm in 1978.
If you ever wanted a vision of hell on earth, that was it.
I did a walk through, talked to the owners (nice people) and inquired into the health precautions for workers, respirators, suits, boots, gloves, washing facilities - the answer to all was none.
I couldn't bring myself to even work there one day.
The guy that I knew that did ended up dyeing from a very nasty kidney disease directly related to repeated infections from the work environment.
I seldom eat an egg even to this day.

May 3, 2007 at 6:17 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

1138: Wow, that's pretty gruesome. I'm glad you didn't take the job. Sorry to hear about the other guy who died after working there; sounds like a pretty toxic environment. I'd probably steer clear of eggs too if I'd ever seen an environment like that.

May 3, 2007 at 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home