Who Hijacked Our Country

Friday, June 08, 2007

Back From Canada

No, I didn’t die or fall off the edge of the Earth or anything. We just got back from a 17-day motor trip across the U.S. and Canada. Mind-boggling. I’ll probably spend months Googling some of the places we've been to. And 17 days with no news — you can't get any more therapeutic than that.

We took Interstate 90 from Seattle to the Eastern part of South Dakota. Mount Rushmore (in the Western part of the state) is well worth seeing. All the pictures you’ve seen (and those chase scenes from North By Northwest) don’t do it justice. And the countryside around there — the Black Hills — is beautiful.

From Route 90 we headed North to catch Route 2 across the Northern parts of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. That has to be the most beautiful 600-mile stretch I’ve ever seen. More lakes and forests than anyone could imagine. You can only absorb so much scenery. Ho hum, another clear blue lake surrounded by a pristine forest.

We crossed into Canada at Sault Saint Marie, Michigan/Ontario. My family used to have a summer cottage in central Ontario and I haven’t been there in decades, so we spent a few days there. Then we headed West across the Trans-Canada Highway system. Too much incredible scenery and too many fascinating cities and towns to even grasp.

I’ll probably be ready for more Bush-bashing and muckraking in another day or two, but for now I’m still awe-struck over how many great places are out there. Hope this blog hasn’t fallen off everybody’s radar…

17 Comments:

Blogger Political Realm said...

A few years back I made about the opposite trip on I-90 (Midwest to Seattle). The Black Hills at sunrise was one of the most beautiful sites I've seen. Cheers!

June 8, 2007 at 9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again. Coming back must be a shock to the system.

June 9, 2007 at 12:35 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Political Realm: Black Hills at sunrise -- I'll have to check that out the next time I'm there.

Benjamin: Thanks. Yup, it's shocking to be back.

June 9, 2007 at 1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Back!

Now get back to politics


Erik

June 9, 2007 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Erik: Ah yes, in due time. I'm sure in another day or 2 I'll be fuming and ranting as much as ever. I'll probably wait until I can close my eyes and not see winding roads and trees and buildings whizzing by; that shouldn't take too much longer.

June 9, 2007 at 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm heading up to the Peninsula soon.

You can see my December trip to northern Michigan here.

Yes, I hit Lake Superior in December, and I absolutely loved it.

June 9, 2007 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Jolly Roger: Those are some great photos you've got. I've got that site bookmarked; I'll probably spend a lot of time perusing through it.

I hadn't been to Michigan or Minnesota or Wisconsin before (technically I've been to Wisconsin because I was in Milwaukee a long time ago). I really loved Michigan's Upper Peninsula (or the U.P. or the Yooper I guess they call it).

Lake Superior in the winter would be great. I'm from the Northeast originally so I like cold snowy winters.

June 10, 2007 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Glad to see you back on line.

June 11, 2007 at 6:51 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

J. Marquis: Thanks. I'll probably do a political post later today, and start visiting other blogs and all that. This post-vacation reverie can't last forever.

June 11, 2007 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Mike V. said...

sounds like an awesome trip, dude.
glad you had fun!

June 11, 2007 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Mike: Yup, it really was awesome.

June 11, 2007 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger LET'S TALK said...

It's great to hear that you enjoyed yourself... that's what it's all about. Welcome back.

June 11, 2007 at 7:34 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Let's Talk: Thanks. It was a great trip.

June 11, 2007 at 8:36 PM  
Blogger spaceneedl said...

tom, the longer you stay away from the news, the better you'll feel.

extend your vacation as long as you can. reality will be back soon enough.

June 11, 2007 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Spaceneedl: Yup, it sure seems to work that way. The longer you go without hearing any news, the less important it becomes. At least until something drastic happens...

June 12, 2007 at 12:13 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

Glad you're back! That sounds like a great trip! You saw some places I have always wanted to see, particular the Highway 2 part.

About 8 years ago my family and I took a wonderful 24-day round trip to Chicago and back. We went through something like 11 or 12 national parks/monuments, saw Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, too many cool places to describe. Reading about your trip makes me want to go do something like that again!

June 12, 2007 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Snave: That sounds like a great trip you took. 24 days -- that's a long trip. Sounds like you saw a lot.

If I had to pick a favorite part of this trip it would be Route 2. I hadn't been to that Northern Midwest/Great Lakes area before, and I'd always heard that it looks like Ontario -- hundreds of miles of lakes and woodlands. Fantastic area. Now we're gonna have to watch Fargo and Feeling Minnesota again with a whole new appreciation.

There were just too many new places to even grasp. I'll be processing this for months.

June 12, 2007 at 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home