Who Hijacked Our Country

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Hatfields and McCoys

Did anybody watch this?  If you haven’t seen it yet, the History Channel will probably be re-running these episodes ‘til Doomsday.  I really liked it.  A slice of American history brought to life with great acting performances and plenty of blood and gore — what’s not to like?

And now we’ve seen what Romania looks like (that’s where it was filmed).

As you’ve probably read, the Hatfields and McCoys mini-series was the second most-watched program (not including sportscasts) in cable TV history.  The linked article has four theories on why the mini-series was such a huge hit.  A lot of the comments at the end of the article seem to agree that it was so popular because American viewers are starved for substance, talent — something other than dimwitted soap operas and reality shows.

I’ll probably watch Part I again, just because the people all looked and talked alike at first, and it was hard to keep track of who was who, who killed who and why, etc.   The History Channel website has a schedule of upcoming reruns as well as videos of the episodes.


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger jadedj said...

Thanks for the tip 'cuz I love me some killin' families.

I haven't seen it, but now I'll have to check it out.

June 3, 2012 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I have the whole thing on the DVR, will start it today.

June 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard so much about it, as I don’t have cable I will download when it done. I have watched enough documentaries on the feud on the History Channel to know that just about every one of our Hillbilly Stereotypes come from that feud, in fact the eastern press would pose them certain ways, have them go shoeless etc., and just write what they feel. It fueled the basis for Beverly Hillbillies and has made the honest folk of that area the butt of the countries jokes ever since.

Erik

June 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Jess said...

I cannot deal with Kevin's crappy acting so I will probably pass on this. Hubby will no doubt watch it because he is into that stuff bad acting and all :) I'm catching up on True Blood anyway for next week's start of a new season. Vampires are more important to me, than gun toting hillbillies. Seen enough of that to last me a lifetime and beyond.

June 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

jadedj: It's a chance to watch a bloody shoot-em-up while telling yourself "this is part of our history, our culture."

J: It's a good idea to record it; the commercials take up more space than the movie.

Erik: That makes sense, that most of our hillbilly stereotypes come from the Hatfields-McCoys feud.

Jess: What, you don't like watching a bunch of hillbillies shooting each other? Y'all ain't a Real Murcan.

Lisa: Oh that's right, your comment got deleted since it was off topic. Nevermind.

June 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Jess said...

Tom, remember I am already not a real American because I live in the land of fruits and nuts on the west coast and am a person of many colors.

June 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home