Who Hijacked Our Country

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

President Obama, State of the Union Speech

OK, I admit it. It was an excellent speech. In the past few months I’ve been disgusted and disillusioned with Obama's ongoing cycle of Dither, give a rousing speech (his weekly Saturday address), dither again, give another stirring speech.. Rinse and repeat. Etc.

I was fully expecting another smooth speech that would promise but not deliver. But he said everything he needed to say to acknowledge everyone’s fears and frustrations. (Full text here.) Just a few highlights:

“…change has not come fast enough. Some are frustrated; some are angry. They don't understand why it seems like bad behavior on Wall Street is rewarded but hard work on Main Street isn't, or why Washington has been unable or unwilling to solve any of our problems. They are tired of the partisanship and the shouting and the pettiness. They know we can't afford it. Not now.”

“Our most urgent task upon taking office was to shore up the same banks that helped cause this crisis. It was not easy to do. And if there's one thing that has unified Democrats and Republicans, it's that we all hated the bank bailout. I hated it. You hated it. It was about as popular as a root canal. But when I ran for president, I promised I wouldn't just do what was popular — I would do what was necessary.”

“Let me repeat: we cut taxes. We cut taxes for 95 percent of working families. We cut taxes for small businesses. We cut taxes for first-time homebuyers. We cut taxes for parents trying to care for their children. We cut taxes for 8 million Americans paying for college. As a result, millions of Americans had more to spend on gas, and food and other necessities, all of which helped businesses keep more workers.”

And now, for all of the inbred teabirther tenther fucks out there — please try to grasp the big words in the following sentence: “And we haven't raised income taxes by a single dime on a single person. Not a single dime.”

Knuckledragging rightwads, please read the above bold/enlarged sentence over and over and over until comprehension occurs.

And (sorry about the brief rant): “Next, we can put Americans to work today building the infrastructure of tomorrow. From the first railroads to the interstate highway system, our nation has always been built to compete. There's no reason Europe or China should have the fastest trains or the new factories that manufacture clean energy products.”

“You see, Washington has been telling us to wait for decades, even as the problems have grown worse. Meanwhile, China's not waiting to revamp its economy; Germany's not waiting; India's not waiting. These nations aren't standing still. These nations aren't playing for second place. They're putting more emphasis on math and science. They're rebuilding their infrastructure. They are making serious investments in clean energy because they want those jobs.”

And regarding the yearlong spitball-throwing contest over health insurance reform:

“But if anyone from either party has a better approach that will bring down premiums, bring down the deficit, cover the uninsured, strengthen Medicare for seniors and stop insurance company abuses, let me know. Here's what I ask of Congress, though: Do not walk away from reform.”

“But what frustrates the American people is a Washington where every day is election day. We cannot wage a perpetual campaign where the only goal is to see who can get the most embarrassing headlines about their opponent — a belief that if you lose, I win. Neither party should delay or obstruct every single bill just because they can.”

It was a great speech — a tough act to follow by the Wall Street Party, try as they may.

Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell gave a followup counter speech that was smooth, slick — or maybe sterile and lifeless would be more accurate. This automaton makes R2-D2 look animated.

Let’s put it this way: if you call the Virginia governor’s office and you think you’ve been relegated to a phone tree — that’s not a recording. That’s the governor, in person! He just talks like that.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Kentucky Rain said...

LOL Tom!! Your last paragraph sums up the desperation of the Right. Even more amusing, in a sad sort of way, is the "Tea Baggers" and their loyal followers thought he (the Virginia guy) was great!!

January 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM  
Anonymous amadmike1 said...

Tom I am just marking the new link. I am so used to Blogger I keep forgetting. Forgive me..

January 27, 2010 at 10:03 PM  
Anonymous Jolly Roger said...

I agree; excellent speech. Now I hope I get the chance to admit to how wrong I've been about this guy.

We'll see.

January 27, 2010 at 11:21 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

MadMike: Thanks. I'm sure the Republicans were planning to praise the rebuttal speech no matter how inept or clueless it was.

JR: I too would like to be wrong about Obama being all talk and no action.

January 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM  
Blogger Dave Dubya said...

I liked how Obama challenged the Republicans to do more than just say "no" and take leadership responsibility with their new 41 percent "majority" in the Senate.

January 28, 2010 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger Holte Ender said...

This guy couldn't give a bad speech if he tried. But as you said Rinse and Repeat. But I am a sucker for this time its different, so this time it's different. He chastised almost everyone in the room, except the stenographers and his wife, he wasn't too harsh, or not harsh enough, but he dished stuff out to deserving cases. The Republicans won't change, but I hope he put a bit fire in some Democrats bellies, because as he reminded them, they still have sizable majorities.

January 28, 2010 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Mike V. said...

The response from the VA Guv was EMBARRASSING. Just more "free market" BS. Less regulation, tax cuts, blah, blah, blah.
I don't know who voted for that tool, but wow. What an empty suit.
As for Obama's speech, I was happy with the content, but I would actually like to see something come from his populist ideas.
As I noted on my blog post. :)

January 28, 2010 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

I watched the Cavs game, and my soul was better for it.

January 28, 2010 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Dave: Yup, he told 'em off good. He will still too nice but he said what he needed to say.

Holte: Same with me -- I'm a sucker for "this time it's different," and this time it's different. And I do hope it's different; he can't keep solving problems with just good speeches.

Mike: That Republican rebuttal speech was almost as inept as last year's Howdy Doody imitation by Bobby Jindal.

Randal: You're probably better off.

January 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obama certainly knows how to say all the right words. We'll see.

January 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM  
Anonymous People in the Sun said...

I saw this Craig's List letter today. It gives the tea drinkers some basic tips regarding fact-checking:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/rnr/1574293261.html

January 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Jess said...

I'm guessing VA guy is positioning himself for a higher office, looking all presidential. I just wonder how much he had to pay those people behind him to be there. That poor AA woman looked like she was going to go to sleep more than once.

Loved the speech but I want to see more than pretty words now. I did notice he kept heaping the praise for all the work the house has done this past year. Almost like he was saying, the senate is where legislation goes to suffer a painful death. I particularly liked the dems don't run for the hills comment. Now they need to get their party panties pulled up and get the work done they were elected to do. I admit to tuning into Hannity for a few minuttes right after. His first comment "the anointed one" has just given his SOTU. McCrankypants being interviewed, blubbering about "we never got the invite into the room" I swear, it is like they were attending a way different SOTU than I was watching.

I don't want to be that abused spouse, that comes back time after time only to be knocked down again, but I think something has got the fire under his ass this time.

January 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Anonymous: Agreed. We'll see.

PITS: That's excellent. I'm gonna forward that link to everyone I can think of.

Jess: That figures, Sean Hannity and Songbird McCain blubbering their usual drivel.

I like your abused spouse analogy. And you're right, the abused spouse won't keep coming back again and again unless something changes.

January 28, 2010 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger Christian Prophet said...

Obama's speech was classic Benito Mussolini. Spooky. Hope he doesn't suffer the same fate. See:
"Obama Creates Poverty, Not Jobs!"
http://constitutionparti.blogspot.com/

January 28, 2010 at 7:21 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

CP: Oooookay, well we're all entitled to our opinions.

January 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM  
Anonymous S.W. Anderson said...

Enjoyed the speech, as I knew I would. Obama hit all the right notes, as he almost always does. Republicans _ including shyster Supreme Sam Alito — predictably showed their individual and collective asses.

That was show business. I want Obama and the Demoocrats in Congress to show me business getting done. I see that and I'll stand up and cheer.

January 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obama like Mussolini? Did he cross his arms and glare at Congress after his speech, I don't think so.

What really got me was the Va Guv saying "this was the best health care system in the world!" Echoing Phil Gramm's statement of over 20 years ago.

Unless he got a talking to from the party leaders (and I doubt it) I feel the GOP (Gods Only Party) has no plan at all.

Erik

January 29, 2010 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Teeluck said...

Instead of breaking heads, I think he is trying to lead the Neanderthals to water....can he teach them to drink?...that's another story. They still take their orders from Cheny and Rush.

January 31, 2010 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Teeluck: Leading the Neanderthals to water, LOL. It's a worthy approach, but I don't know whether he'll be able to make them drink or not.

January 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home