Who Hijacked Our Country

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Jesus Shrugged

That’s what you get when you combine Ayn Rand’s self-absorbed the-world-revolves-around-me mindset with the bigotry and intolerance of “Christians.” Not Jesus Himself, of course; just the Far Right’s re-invented version who schmoozed with moneylenders and drove the beggars from the temple, and said “Let’s all cast stones at that evil sinner.”

Tampa Liberty School will be holding a weeklong seminar this summer. Their mission is to teach 8-to-12-year-olds how to be selfish and self-centered AND how to be hateful and sanctimonious at the same time. Oh, and a big dollop of American Exceptionalism will be thrown in too.

The children’s indoctrination phrases will include:

“America is good,” “I believe in God,” and “I work hard for what I have and I will share it with who [sic] I want to. Government cannot force me to be charitable.”

Grammar apparently isn't part of the curriculum.

Tampa Liberty School is run by volunteers from the 912 Project and was organized by Jeff Lukens, who said:

“We want to impart to our children what our nation is about, and what they may or may not be told.”

He admitted that he doesn’t know anything about the public school curriculum, but:

“I do know they have a lot of political correctness. We are a faithful people, and when you talk about natural law, you have to talk about God. When you take that out of the discussion, you miss the whole thing.”

Tampa Liberty School will be in session every morning from July 11th through the 15th. There’s room for forty students, and right now only eight have signed up.

If you want to indoctrinate your child, you still have time — but you have to hurry.


Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous S.W. Anderson said...

This neither surprises nor particularly bothers me. It's a private group trying to inculcate selfishness in their kids, at the same time teaching the kids that narrow-mindedness is patriotism at its best. Some will always do this kind of thing.

Here's something far bigger and more insidious, and it bothers me a lot.

June 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger Cirze said...

I remember again why I thought taking a job in Tampa (Honeywell) would have been unfair to my daughter's education.

June 16, 2011 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

God help us all, and Lord, save us from your followers. Heh!

S.W., it's looking like the GOP is using Wisconsin as a test lab like Friedman and his buddies used a few countries in South America... kind of a "let's try it here first, ram it through, and then no matter how it turns out, bill it as "success" so we can work to ram it through everywhere else" way of looking at things. And that IS scary.

June 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger jadedj said...

It is absolutely no surprise to me that this originates in Tampa. I can say that as an expatriate Florida boy. And, I can also say, Tampa is the home of the Central and West Florida Peckerwood. The holy-roly, Uncle-Sam-Jesus Peckerwood being the dumbest of the species.

It would appear that the Tampa "Liberty" School has an entire gaggle of Peckerwoods.

June 16, 2011 at 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SWA, your link has been disappeared, thanks.

(8:00 pm Pac 6/15)

June 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6/16 stupid, thanks.

June 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM  
Anonymous S.W. Anderson said...

Anonymous, I don't get "disappeared" on that link. I get a bizarre warning Yahoo! doesn't authorize the link and another link saying I can proceed at my own risk. Summoning all my courage, I clicked the link . . . and proceeded to where it was supposed to go in the first place: WEAU Channel 13, Eau Claire, Wisc., owned by GrayTV Inc. The site has an excellent reliability rating and is not on any blacklists.

In short, the link is valid, works and is perfectly safe. All you get is a TV station news brief.

June 16, 2011 at 9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom

This looks a lot like the Church Camp post you made a few years ago.

Erik

June 16, 2011 at 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Jess said...

I wonder just how much this "school" gets in tax payer money to be all exclusive. I'll be back after I do some research and let you know. Seems to me, they can't be doing this, if they get any tax monies or is that just me being a really stoopid durty librul tree hugger again?

June 17, 2011 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Word verification: cheakz. Weiner, is that you?

June 17, 2011 at 8:00 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

SW: If I get a virus from that link it'll be your fault :)

(Kidding!)

I didn't get that warning yesterday when I clicked on the link, but I did just now. Yes this is quite insidious and bothersome. Just think of what that $3 million could do for Milwaukee's public school system, if they had donated that money to the schools instead of a rightwing political campaign.

Suzan: I've never been to Tampa (Pensacola is all I've seen of Florida), but between your comment and jadedj's comment, it sounds like I haven't missed anything.

Snave: Wisconsin as petri dish, in other words. We can only hope the experiment fails miserably.

jadedj: Thanks for the warning, in case I'm ever in Florida again.

Erik: Ah yes, Jesus Camp. That particular camp closed awhile ago, but it looks like clones are springing up all over.

Jess: I'm sure there are hidden tax breaks and/or subsidies for this "school." Conservatives have nothing against tax dollars going for their own causes. It's only "wasteful" if it goes toward creating jobs or helping the poor.

Randal: It's Boehner. He toys with the Word Verification system when he's between binges.

June 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home