Who Hijacked Our Country

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Exploding Targets: Protected by the Second Amendment?

Exploding targets?!?  I’d never even heard of them until last night’s NBC newscast.  Apparently it’s not quite enough fun to just shoot your gun.  To get a real manly charge out of it, you have to shoot at something that explodes when you hit it.  Blow Stuff Up!

“Hey Cletus, looky over thar, I hit that there target and it done blew up!  Yee Haw!!!”

A dealer who sells these exploding targets told CBS News:

“Like any explosive, like black powder or smokeless fire or this sort of thing, it can be dangerous.  They're intended to be used in areas away from flammable material.  We trust and hope people use it responsibly and not in the wrong way.”

And then he went on to say there’s no need for the government to barge in and regulate this.

Riiight.  People will be responsible and do the right thing.  We don’t need all these intrusive stop signs, speed limits and traffic lights.  We can trust drivers to act responsibly on their own, without a bunch of meddling bureaucrats telling them which lane they have to be in and where they have to stop.

Last summer, a fire in Wenatchee, WA was apparently caused by two retards shooting at exploding targets.  I knew about the fire.  It went on for days and days, burning 73,000 acres.  Local residents were told to wear face masks if they went outside.

But I didn’t know until last night’s newscast that the Wenatchee fire had been caused by exploding targets.

Here are some more links on exploding targets.

This shit serves no purpose whatsoever.  Get rid of it already.  If the “My Family Tree Has No Branches” crowd feels deprived because they can’t have a target that explodes when they shoot it, tell them to go to a tractor pull or a monster truck rally instead.  At least they aren’t a fire hazard.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought Bomb fishing was the worse

Erik

February 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger jadedj said...

The longer I live, the more astonished I am at the apparent rampant gene defects of the human race. Seriously.

February 18, 2013 at 5:04 AM  
Anonymous Jess said...

So let me get this right. Exploding targets kept safe by the 2nd but kids and the rest of us not so much. Ok then carry on, I'll be in the corner rocking back and forth hlding myself.

February 18, 2013 at 7:18 AM  
Blogger S.W. Anderson said...

Simple pleasures for simple minds, I guess.

Many years ago we lived in a neighborhood where several people began celebrating July 4th around the 20th of June and sometimes didn't quit until several days after the Fourth. Ones that lived behind us were the worst, and kept our pets anxious, depressed and fearful of going outside for days.

The people who did this were far from affluent, but they managed to waste an incredible amount of money every year on firecrackers, Roman candles and such. Their fascination mystified me. When you've seen a few firecrackers go off, you've seen it all. Everything else is mindless repetition.

This exploding targets thing tells me there's plenty more where those former neighbors came from. That's not a reassuring thought.

February 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Erik: Bomb fishing, I haven't heard of that one. I don't think I want to go there :)

jadedj: I think Homo Sapiens is devolving, no two ways about it.

Jess: I'm sure the Exploding Target Brigade will fight tooth and nail any attempt to protect people from wildfires by regulating or banning them.

SW: I've always hated living near those retards who think July 4th starts in mid-June and ends in late July. When I lived in a dry fire-prone region of California, I was always paranoid about that. Now that I'm on the coast in a more moist climate, I'm just a little edgy instead of paranoid during the 6-week Fourth of July period.

February 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI

When I was a little kid, I thought "gee wouldn't it be great to blow up some dynamite in a creek and have it bring up a whole lot of fish and never have to deal one at a time with the Rod and Reel mess?"

Then I found out they really do it!

I was a kid, what's their excuse?

Erik

February 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Erik: I had no idea people actually did that. Not quite as idyllic as sitting by a quiet stream with a fishing rod.

February 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home