Who Hijacked Our Country

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Company You Keep

Excellent movie.  I remembered reading an article about it, but I wasn't planning to go see it or rent it.  But it was on one of our movie channels last night, so why not?

Robert Redford directed, co-produced and starred in The Company You Keep.  He plays a former student radical from the Weather Underground who's been on the lam for over 30 years.  He's managed to stay one step ahead of the FBI with a new name and totally new life.  Anyone who liked Running On Empty (River Phoenix, Judd Hirsch, Christine Lahti) would like The Company You Keep.

The movie starts out with Susan Sarandon playing Robert Redford's fellow Weather Underground fugitive getting arrested by the FBI after she had already planned to turn herself in.

(There was an L.A. Law episode with that exact same theme.  The corrupt FBI agent was played by the same actor who played Kruger on all those Seinfeld episodes.)

I'm usually not interested in reliving the political turmoil of the '60s and '70s, which is why I wasn't planning to see this movie.  But it was riveting excellent acting, great cast, plot twists, etc.  And it was interesting to compare the differences and similarities of then and now.  As they say, plus ca change...

Definitely worth checking out.


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger jadedj said...

Truth is, nothing is new and in the case of politics (at least in the U.S.), it gets worse. Yes, I am a cynical S.O.B. ;)

December 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger jadedj said...

Oh, thanks for the flick tip. I'm going to check it out.

December 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Like you, I was a bit hesitant about resurrecting the 60's radical thing but now I want to check it out. I think I have it on the DVR.

December 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

jadedj: I can't tell if things are getting worse or if it only seems worse because we're getting more information and getting it faster.

Jim: I think the movie compares favorably with Running On Empty, which I liked.

December 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He loves to play the "on the lam" role:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakers_%281992_film%29

If you look hard enough in one scene, you will see me in the background.

Erik

December 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Erik: I've never heard of that movie. That's a hell of a cast in it. I'll have to rent it and see if I can find you.

December 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home