Who Hijacked Our Country

Thursday, January 02, 2014

Dogs Poop in Line with Earth's Magnetic Field

This is so cool.  When your dog is getting ready to, uh, go, and he/she keeps sniffing, moving around, stopping, changing position, pausing again, changing position again:  Your dog is aligning him/herself with the Earth's magnetic field before doing his business.  Who'da thunk?

According to the research (conducted by Czech and German scientists):

“It is still enigmatic why the dogs do align at all, whether they do it ‘consciously’ (i.e., whether the magnetic field is sensorial perceived [the dogs ‘see,’ ‘hear’ or ‘smell’ the compass direction or perceive it as a haptic stimulus] or whether its reception is controlled on the vegetative level [they ‘feel better/more comfortable or worse/less comfortable’ in a certain direction]).  Our analysis of the raw data (not shown here) indicates that dogs not only prefer N-S direction, but at the same time they also avoid E-W direction.”

Also, dogs don't do this north-south alignment when they're being walked on a leash; only when they're on their own.

There's so much we're just finding out; that animals have a lot more going on than we ever dreamed.  Dolphins bite on the venomous puffer fish to get high — presumably knowing exactly how much they can safely ingest — and then pass the puffer fish around to their buddies, like a joint.

Salmon and migratory birds are using the Earth's magnetic field for their respective migration routes.  And even ants are sensitive to this magnetic field and can distinguish between north, south, east and west.

The article doesn't mention anything about cats...


Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Karlo said...

I just saw this article too. You have to hand it to the researchers who somehow noticed this!

January 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM  
Blogger Jerry Critter said...

I think I have one north-south dog and one east-west dog. I will have to watch them more closely.

January 2, 2014 at 9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There used to be a bird that would eat this fermenting berry to get drunk I was told.

I wish they could find out more if Animals could predict earthquakes

Erik

January 3, 2014 at 12:17 AM  
Blogger Mr. Charleston said...

Yeah, I saw this one too. I'm going to have to start paying more attention to my dog.

January 3, 2014 at 6:25 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

At least sheep's bladders can prevent them.

January 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Jerry Critter said...

I've seen reports about dogs that can sniff out illnesses like cancer.

January 3, 2014 at 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Jess said...

I am going to have to watch the dogs when I let them off leash in the park. Now my cats, whole other thing. I have one that takes his sweet time doing his business, scratching for what seems an eternity and the others just go, do what they need to and clean up fast. Jerry I have seen stories like that. They can detect disease and seizures and all manner of things. Some cats too. I know when I am bummed out my little dogs do not leave me alone, they want to be all on me

January 3, 2014 at 5:17 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Karlo: They must have watched an awful lot of dog-pooping to come up with these results. Interesting information though.

Jerry: They could make some interesting patterns if they're doing their business at the same time.

Erik: I think it's robins that eat pyracantha berries and then get drunk and start crashing into people's windows.

Mr. C.: If you get lost in the woods, your dog could help you find your way back.

Randal: That explains the truckloads of sheep bladders heading to southern California.

Jerry: I've heard about that too.

Jess: Since cats have such a strong sense of balance and awareness of their position, I would have assumed they're attuned to the magnetic field as well. I remember a news story about a cat that would be brought in to visit terminally ill patients during their final moments.

January 4, 2014 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

Hmmmm. I notice that with the humans in our house, both toilets are aligned along an east-west axis...

As for dogs, I think it is pretty hilarious watching them poop sometimes anyway, so this will make it even more hilariouser. 8-)

January 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Snave: I hadn't given it much thought before, but now that you mention it, the toilets in our house are also on an east-west alignment. Uh oh...

January 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger Jerry Critter said...

I am beginning to see a trend. Our toilets are east-west too. Perhaps I should sit side-saddle.

January 4, 2014 at 6:05 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Jerry: It's a corporate conspiracy so Ex-Lax, Inc. can sell more of their products.

January 4, 2014 at 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home