Who Hijacked Our Country

Friday, July 17, 2015

Abraham Lincoln NAILED It!!!

How ironic:  there's a gang of rightwing demagogues going around calling themselves The Party of Lincoln.  If only these corporate thugs and their useful idiots knew:

“I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.” — U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

(letter to Col. William F. Elkins)

Gee, I'm glad those paranoid predictions never came true.


Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger jadedj said...

Makes you wonder if any of them every cracked a book. The party of Lincoln my ass.

July 18, 2015 at 8:07 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

jadedj: I doubt it. Booklarnin' and teabaggin' are mutually exclusive.

July 18, 2015 at 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems Lincoln is the new Reagan, or the other way around. His memory invoked by different people for different things. Very few of them the complete person.

Erik

July 20, 2015 at 11:34 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Erik: I'm sure there's a lot we don't know about him, but that quote was spot on.

July 21, 2015 at 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home