Who Hijacked Our Country

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

“Game of Thrones” Author Kicks Some Republican Butt

I don’t know anything about “Game of Thrones.”  I don’t even get HBO.  But the author behind the TV show, George R.R. Martin, has some fairly strong opinions on that gang of neckdrooling inbred shitstumps formerly known as the Republican Party:

“I would be remiss if I do not at least make passing mention of how depressed, disgusted, and, yes, angry I’ve become as I watch the ongoing attempts at voter suppression in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Iowa, and other states where Republicans and their Teabagger allies control key seats of power.  It is one thing to attempt to win elections.  But trying to do so by denying the most basic and important right of any American citizen to hundreds and thousands of people, on entirely spurious grounds… that goes beyond reprehensible. That is despicable.”

And:

“The people behind these efforts at disenfranchising large groups of voters (the young, the old, the black, the brown) are not Republicans, since clearly they have scant regard for our republic or its values. They are oligarchs and racists clad in the skins of dead elephants.  And don’t tell me they are libertarians either. No true libertarians would ever support a culture where citizens must ‘show their papers’ to vote or travel. That’s a hallmark of a police state, not a free country.”

I second the motion.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Voter Suppression techniques was one of the key specialties the Republicans acquired from the Dixiecrats via the Southern Strategy and they intend to use it.

Let's get this clear for once and for all...JFK was NO fighter. Nothing (domestically anyway) got done until LBJ took over!

Erik

August 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Jess said...

I'll leave you with another splendid bastard's words, when he was told Martin was basically taking too long releasing an installment of the Ice and Fire series, which brought us GoT. George R R Martin is not your bitch... Neil Gaiman. This is why we all must tell people about getting registered to vote, they cannot suppress all of us now can they? Better yet, take a weekend or two and go register people your own selves, it really is fun meeting new people.

August 14, 2012 at 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess if people need to be taken to register then they need to be taken to vote too.
While you're at it take them to their doctor's appointments and grocery shopping.
I guess 18 year olds just can't get there on their own. anyone over that age should already be registered. I mean didn't they all show up for Hope and Change in 2008?

August 15, 2012 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Erik: I think that's true about Kennedy. Beyond his charisma, he didn't do much.

Jess: Good advice about registering lots of people.

Anonymous: Thank you for your talking points but I've already heard them over and over.

August 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

Good for George R.R. !

August 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger Life As I Know It Now said...

Excuse me, JFK lost his life because he was fighting against the CIA's agenda but I guess that doesn't qualify for very much. LBJ did continue the WOP it is true but he also ramped up the war in Viet Nam. Anyway, most presidents suck and some are way worse than others--especially ANY republican president. Need I remind anyone of BUSH?

August 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home