Who Hijacked Our Country

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Indecision 2012, First Presidential Debate: YAWN

Maybe it’s just me.  Either I’ve become much more jaded and easily bored than I ever was, or tonight’s Obama-Romney debate was the most excruciatingly boring bone-dry wonkish argument EVER.

Nobody will ever need Valium or Lunesta again.  Just play back your video or DVD of tonight’s debate and you’ll sleep like a baby for twelve hours.

I’m not blaming either candidate.  Whether it was the format itself, or the questions from the moderator  — Obama just needed to tread water, and Romney had this one and only chance to come from behind, swing hard and land a crushing left hook and devastate his opponent (according to the experts) — it was pretty much “Meh.”

President Obama and Mitt Romney each got off a few zingers.  Each individual zinger undoubtedly excited that candidate’s fans and induced an eye roll out of the candidate’s opponents.

Anyway, that’s just my take.

Here are three different versions of tonight’s snore-fest.

Here

Here, and

Here

Let’s hope the rest of the debates will be more interesting, or else the entire country will be Asleep At The Wheel.  (Unless it was just me.)

Your take?

9 Comments:

Blogger jadedj said...

"Here
Here, and
Here"

Are you trying to put me back to sleep?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, is my take, as well.

And...this scares the shit out of me. The prez needed to clobber a highly clobberable (sic) asshole. Didn't happen...in my opinion, of course.

October 4, 2012 at 4:29 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Debates usually only have zing when they're, you know, debates instead of scripted teevee fodder for the Funyuns-drunk. Next time, take a bubble bath, clip your toenails, smoke a bowl.

October 4, 2012 at 4:58 AM  
Blogger Mr. Charleston said...

WTF happened to Obama? Playing it safe sucks. For that matter, so do both candidates.

October 4, 2012 at 6:05 AM  
Blogger Jack Jodell said...

Obama blew the best chance he'll ever have to completely bury Romney.

October 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger Demeur said...

Was this a rope a dope strategy or something? Or in Randals' case a smoke a dope strategy?

October 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM  
Anonymous Jess said...

Meh from me too. I watched Dark Shadows instead after smoking a couple bowls. It was way more enlightening than watching a liar lie and get away with it. This will be my new debate strategy, after a bowl or two I will watch a Johnny Depp movie.

October 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger S.W. Anderson said...

I know what you mean, Tom, but seeing the president muff this debate the way he did wasn't boring. Disappointing and maddening, yes, but not boring. Having visions of Romney appointing Scalia and Thomas clones to the Supreme Court flashing in the back of my head wasn't boring. It was equal parts scary and depressing.

October 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Carlos said...

To me, the debate was most uninspiring. A public forum that people from both parties are watching is the perfect forum to call Romney and Ryan on their most extreme positions, opinions, and comments. Why that didn't happen is beyond me.

October 5, 2012 at 2:42 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

jadedj: Romney was definitely clobberable; I don't know what Obama was waiting for.

Randal: "Scripted teevee fodder for the Funyuns-drunk" is what made America great.

Mr. C: There's playing it safe, and there's standing there like a deer caught in the headlights.

Jack: He still has two more debates. Hopefully he'll make better use of them.

Demeur: I hope there was some sort of strategy involved.

Jess: I had to keep watching, even though it was that deadly combination of boring and alarming.

SW: The only positive thing is, I don't think these debates matter much. They should, but they're so scripted and stifled and sterilized, I think TV commercials and soundbites and public speeches have more impact.

Carlos: You're right, very uninspiring.

October 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home