Who Hijacked Our Country

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Fargo: Only Four More Episodes

I already wrote a post about Fargo (the FX miniseries) after the pilot episode, but I have to beat this dead horse one more time.  Last night's episode the sixth out of ten was just sooo good, I can't say enough about it.  At first I thought the miniseries might get too gimmicky.  Ten hours of Scandihoovian accents and caricatures of people who are so preoccupied with the weather forecast that they don't even notice when all Hell is breaking loose right in front of them?!

No such luck.  I'm usually reluctant to use superlatives, but at this point in the miniseries, I think Fargo is the best thing the Coen brothers have ever done they're the executive producers of the series and Billy Bob Thornton's most incredible acting/writing/directing performance ever.  I know that's saying a lot; that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

We've all seen a few actors who project a certain unsettling quiet intensity.  Billy Bob Thornton's character Lorne Malvo takes this to a whole new level.  The ice cold laser-focus intensity projected by Lorne Malvo is enough to make a TV viewer cringe.

Until last night, I thought the Fargo miniseries was good but nothing unique just another action comedy featuring the Coen brothers' dark humor.  But last night's episode had it all:  intricate plot twists, unbearable white-knuckle suspense, gut-busting hilarity
— sometimes all at once.

I don't know how Fargo is doing in the ratings.  It doesn't matter anyway, since this is a one-time miniseries with no second season in the works.  If you're not already watching this show, do yourself a huge favor and check it out (Wednesdays on FX, 10 p.m.).


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Screamin' Mimi said...

This show is fabulous. I think it's actually some of Billy Bob Thornton's best work, and that's saying a lot.

I loved the original movie "Fargo" and this series pays fine homage to the film, but tweaks the story in another direction and it's taking us to a VERY dark place.

Hope you'll check it out. I plan to buy it on DVD whenever it becomes available, as it's worth repeat viewings.

May 21, 2014 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

SM: I agree it's fabulous. The TV series has taken the movie version of Fargo and expanded on it the way a jazz musician can take a simple tune and expand it into a whole new deeper level. Definitely worth buying the series DVD.

May 21, 2014 at 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Jess said...

I tried with this and I am just not feeling it. I'll come back to it later, because I loved the movie.

May 26, 2014 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Jess: I was just starting to think the series was getting stale and they couldn't possibly keep up the interest level. But last Tuesday, Episode 6, the intensity went through the roof. I'm guessing these last 4 episodes will be super edge-of-your-seat nail biters.

May 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home