Who Hijacked Our Country

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Permanent Tax Cuts for the Middle Class


YES


Here’s an idea the Democrats can ride all the way to a November victory — making the Bush tax cuts permanent for every American who earns less than $200,000 a year.

The middle class — the backbone of this country — will be able to pay their bills and keep their homes. And they’ll have more money to spend, which will stimulate the economy. And best of all, this tax cut won’t have to be offset someplace else in the budget, because tax cuts pay for themselves. Remember, the Republicans said so.

Not only is this a great idea, but it’ll put the Republicans in a bind. As one Democratic aide put it:

“Republicans are going to have a real choice ahead of them. Are you for extending these tax cuts for middle-class families or are you against them because you want to protect tax cuts for the wealthiest 1% of Americans?”

I don’t even think Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity can shout their way out of this one.

In the meantime, Republican senators are still getting their rocks off. Even though unemployment benefits are a done deal now after yesterday’s vote, Republicans are delaying the final vote, so that those unemployed parasites can twist in the wind for a few more days. Republicans are doing this because they hate working-class people, but most of all, because they can.

Harry Reid said:

“Perhaps the overwhelming majority of Republicans think that since they've turned their backs on the unemployed for so many months, what's another few days? Perhaps they think that when unemployment goes up, their poll numbers do too.”

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Jess said...

*sniff, sniff* I don't know that I want my taxes to go up though Tom. Won't you think of me and people like me, that don't really need the money. I may just have to start some kind of philanthropic outlet for my kind you know. Think of the children, oh yeah I don't have any, then carry on.

Hell I say raise it back to what it was when Zombie Raygun was in office. I don't mind in the least having to pony up so that someone else does not have to. I am not alone in this either, among friends that are in the income bracket that would be hit.

July 21, 2010 at 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Tim said...

I'm in the shit bracket so I have to rely on what trickles down and we all know what that is...
Tax cuts for the middle class would just about guarantee winners for the Good guys.

July 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if they really stuck to their guns about the deficient, then no one would get the tax cuts.

Would that be so bad?

Erik

July 21, 2010 at 11:26 PM  
Anonymous S.W. Anderson said...

This is precisely what Democrats should do. They should get out in front of it, talking it up all over the media and the country, explaining what they're doing and why, also pointing out what Republicans are doing and why.

Regarding Republicans delaying the jobless benefits. I think they're doing it out of pure damned spite.

July 22, 2010 at 1:38 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Jess: I'm all for raising tax rates to where they were during Reagan's time, at least for the wealthiest. But I still like the idea of a middle class tax cut; middle and lower income groups have been carrying the burden for too long.

Tim: Ah yes, the golden shower known as Trickle Down.

Erik: I'd rather have that highest 1% pay through the nose and have lower taxes for everybody else.

SW: You're right. If the Democrats can't make political hay out of this (and Republicans blocking unemployment benefits, Joe Barton apologizing to BP, Republicans favoring Wall Street over Main Street, etc.) then they're more hopeless than I thought.

July 22, 2010 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Dave Dubya said...

The Reich is only beginning to get mean.

The Republicans now have the brilliant idea of taxing the poor! I saw it all figured out, right there on FUX SNews.

July 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger Lew Scannon said...

Stupid middle class would probably just spend it all on their families and homes.
Stupid middle class.

July 22, 2010 at 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Jess said...

Tom I totally agree. That is what I am saying, people like hubby and I don't need the tax break. People uder the 200k I think it was line do need it. I would go even less than that but that is just me. I would have gone as low as 150k, but then this is not my world.

July 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Dave: There has to be a way to keep financing the Pentagon and tax cuts for the wealthiest 1%; might as well do it on the backs of those useless poor and middle class people.

Lew: Right, that's exactly what those useless middle class people would do.

Jess: It's hard to know where to draw that line; I'd say anywhere between $150K and $200K.

July 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The mule is blind"

"Big" Bill France, founder of Nascar

July 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Jolly Roger said...

It's about damned time someone decided to actually act like they were sent as Democrats, instead of as milquetoast toadies.

July 22, 2010 at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home